Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fast Food-Always Delicious, But Not Always Nutritious

            My history with fast food…  I would not call it history because I still eat it every once in a while.  Yet, it was not and will not be a regular part of my family’s life.  Fast food has always been a treat for me and my family.  My mom would take us to Ho Toys Chinese Food Restaurant (in Anaheim).  I would usually order half of fried rice and half of steamed rice, orange chicken, and teriyaki with a pink lemonade.  I always loved eating that.  However, we would sometimes go to Burger King, Varsity Burgers, Carl’s Jr., KFC, or to a buffet, like Hometown Buffet.  I still remember how much we enjoyed eating out as a family when we had a chance, because of how busy our schedules got, as we grew older. Oddly enough now that I think about it, back then I did not put much thought into how I felt about fast food.  All I remember thinking about at that moment is that I was going to enjoy my favorite food, or at least, one of my many favorite foods.  I did not stop to think about how healthy was the food that I wanted to eat.  There really weren’t any worries on my mind about how many calories, how much fat, or what it took to cook the food.                                                           
But, as of this past December, I kind of did rely on fast food for the first couple of days because I moved in with my husband.  I remember that our first weekend of living together, we ate at a fast food restaurant or at the buffet because we were barely purchasing appliances, cookware, groceries etc…that Saturday and Sunday.  However, after that, I would cook daily, and we have only gone out to eat on occasion.  For instance, we plan to go to a buffet on Wednesday.  So, we do not rely on it that much.  This is a good thing because my younger siblings expect me to eat fast food frequently, because of the stereo type that, that is what all college students eat.  They thought that I would be eating fatty food all the time.  So, they are very surprised that I still maintain my healthy eating habits.  Which, now I see that this decision of eating healthy has had a huge affect on my siblings.  Now, they hardly eat fast food, and there rarely is any junk food at my mother’s house.

No comments:

Post a Comment